Wednesday, September 25, 2024

I never backed bandits- Defence Minister

The Minister of State for Defence, Dr. Bello Matawalle, has said he once swore with the Holy Qur’an not have any connection or hands in banditry.

 The minister dismissed allegations of aiding banditry, challenging his accusers to provide the evidence of his complicity in the act.

Matawalle spoke yesterday on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, “Sunrise Daily”.

The minister justified his decision to dialogue with bandits, saying many governors had toed this line of action.

“Let me remind you that I was the only governor that swore with the Holy Qur’an that I have no hand or connection with banditry. I am not happy with what is happening. I said if I am happy or if I am part of it or if I know those doing it or if I am collaborating with them, God should not give me one-second grace.”

The former governor explained why he negotiated with bandits, saying: “I have always acted in good faith, as have other governors who engaged in dialogue with bandits…

“I was not the only one that dialogued with the bandits. The governor of Niger State, Abubakar Sani Bello, the then governor of Sokoto, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, and the governor of Katsina State dialogued with them. So, why only me?


“Yet, I seem to be singled out, perhaps because Zamfara is a complex state with terrible human beings with devilish ideas.”

No comments:

Post a Comment