Monday, February 29, 2016

Foreigner Kidnaps 34-Day-Old Baby In Lagos

A Togolese living at 14, Ago Street, Okokomaiko, a Lagos suburb, is alleged to have conspired with another foreigner to kidnap a 34-day-old baby, Mustapha Ibrahim. Vanguard gathered that the other foreigner, identified as Sekinat, lives with the parents of the baby, Ganiyu and Saidat Ibrahim at the said address. It was learned that Sekinat and the toddler’s parents had been neighbours for about five years.


Vanguard gathered that Sekinat had introduced the foreigner to the Ibrahims as her elder sister, a day earlier. The foreigner kidnapped the baby on Saturday, February 20, at about 3p.m., when the mother was having her bath.

When Vanguard visited the home of the Ibrahims weekend, residents said that Sekinat was not at home when the child disappeared, but argued that she must have acted in such manner to create an alibi.


A mother’s story

In an interview with Vanguard, Saidat, mother of the baby, said: “On Friday before the kidnap, Sekinat, whom we often call Aunty, brought the lady (foreigner) and introduced her to us as her elder sister. And because of the relationship between our family and her, I allowed the lady rock my baby. Few minutes after, she handed over the baby and left.

“Next morning, Sekinat left at about 7a.m. for Alaba International Market, where she sells food. But she left the said elder sister at home.

“At about 3p.m., my baby (Mustapha) was asleep. I decided to use the time to have my bath. On returning to my room, I discovered that my baby had disappeared. I raised alarm and my neighbours informed me that they saw a lady with a baby, but that they thought it was hers. Effort to track her proved abortive.”

I don’t know her—Sekinat

Meanwhile, speaking at Okokomaiko Police Station, Sekinat denied knowing the alleged kidnapper, saying “I saw her at the market wandering around, looking for where to sleep. So I decided to help her. That was why I brought her home. I never knew she had such sinister motive.”

Confirming the kidnap, Police Public Relation Officer, Dolapo Badmus, said: “The case is now being handled by the command gender desk unit. Efforts are on to track down the suspect with possible recovery of the stolen baby.


“We are already getting Interpol involved; very soon, and hopefully, we will find the child.”

No comments:

Post a Comment