Wednesday, May 29, 2024

I was told if I played drums, I won’t have children – Ara

Famous talking drummer, Ara has recalled how people told her she won’t be able to have children if she insists on playing the talking drum.

The FIRST female talking drummer in Africa disclosed this when she featured on the latest episode of the Terms And Conditions podcast.

She said, “There are some drums females cannot play. I started with the traditional drums. But I evolved over the years. I played different instruments like bass guitar, keyboard, and set drums.

“But I wanted something different, so I started learning how to play the talking drum. People I asked to teach me were skeptical about teaching me because I am a woman. So I am self-taught.

“Although at some point, I was afraid. I was like, ‘what could happen to me?’ They were like, ‘you might not be able to have kids.’ It’s a traditional thing but I broke that jinx.”

Ara has a son with her estranged husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment